- to organize the biennial meeting called Asian Congress of Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization (ACSMO);
- to stimulate and promote research in all aspects of SMO;
- to encourage practical applications of optimization methods and the corresponding software development in all branches of technology;
- to foster the interchange of ideas amongst various fields contributing to SMO;
- to provide a framework for the organization of meetings, forums and other means for the dissemination of knowledge on SMO;
- to promote education of SMO;
- to confer awards for researchers and practitioners to stimulate research and application of SMO; and
- to endorse symposia related to SMO without financial support.